March 22, 2013

I'm All In Now!

I've only dabbled with consignment shopping in the past.
It started with a visit to a local shop back when I was expecting my 3rd girl. I walked in, looked around, walked out. I was overwhelmed and really didn't have a plan.
Last Spring, I went to a Just Between Friends event at the fairgrounds.  I was in a bit of a daze.  Again, I had no plan, I just really wanted to check it out.  I was pregnant at the time and about a week away from finding out the gender so I only bought a couple of maternity dresses.  I felt like I got a good deal, 2 dresses, one of them with tags for 15$.  One of those dresses became a staple in my maternity wardrobe.  I was a little late to the party though.  The toys were pretty much picked over.  Shoes were all but gone, and I stood in line FOREVER.
Then we found out we were having a BOY.  WOW, didn't know I can make those.  And since this fourth child would be our last, I had a TON of clothes to get rid of.
Unfortunately, the next event closest to where we live was a week before his due date, and he actually ended up being born then.  But I signed up for the one by my parents 3 weeks later.  Crazy?  A little.  I had just had a baby, but I was feeling good.  I dropped off my stuff, marked it all for donation.  And let it go.  Because of the baby I didn't have time to do any shopping.  I got my check for 120$ a couple of weeks later.  Now I was hooked.  My only regret is that a few things didn't sell that were in great condition, and went to donation.
This week is the Spring sale near our home.  I spent all winter gathering all of the clothes and items I could.  I signed up to volunteer this time, getting a bigger percentage and a pass to go early to the presale.  Volunteering during the drop off gave me a great perspective of what other consignors were bringing in and pricing their items at.  I also knew exactly where I was going to head when I got to the presale the next day.  I wish I could have changed some of my prices, but I just didn't have the time.  I did take one thing out of the sale that I had severely under priced. The next day at the presale, not only was it not crowded, it was down right blissful to shop, even with 4 kids with me.  I got some great things for our little boy, Easter dresses for the older girls and a bike for my 3 1/2 year old.  I spent $90, and feel like it was well spent.  I promptly came home and started pulling out things for the next sale in the area.  Nothing is safe.  Toys, shoes, clothes.  If the kids aren't using it, it may be sold.  I've got the consignment bug.  I don't yet know what I will make from this sale.  After one day of sales, I'm about even with what I spent.  There are 2 days left still.  I can't wait to see what sold today!  Whatever the difference is will go toward paying off the hospital bill from our latest addition.  :-)

If you haven't already, check out Just Between Friends, they are all over the country.

Any tips from seasoned consigners?  Sales or buying tips?

No comments: